Even before COVID, many main streets were struggling and, in some cases, dying, for reasons beyond their control; the introduction of internet shopping and development of shopping centres both came as a huge blow.
With more than 2 million small businesses in Australia, and many of these on our main streets, they do an enormous amount for the community. We need to support them, to ensure their survival, so they can continue to:
• provide a huge number of jobs to those that rely on local or flexible work,
• create local spending,
• support local causes and charities, as well as sporting groups and schools
• provide a place for the elderly or vulnerable to find their fit in the community,
• build connection and provide safe spaces, and
• allow a huge number of families to stay financially afloat.
In 2022, Mainstreet Australia, in partnership with Mainstreet SA & Town Team Movement, and with the support of Zeller, are launching a national campaign celebrating all that main streets and town centres provide to the community.
The message will be impossible to ignore as these streets, and the businesses within them, will all be sharing this message at the same time; from May 16 – May 22 aka Main Streets of Australia Week. The best part of this event is that it is accessible to all streets and town centres, no matter the size or budget.
How can you get involved? You can:
- Run an event or launch a campaign for the week, or just one day of the week, celebrating your main street. Bit stuck for ideas? Check out this list of both offline/on-street and online ideas! When you’ve decided your activity, make sure to send us the details via this link so we can add it to the national listing you can see here.
- Download all manner of Main Streets of Australia Week branded promotional materials including footpath and window decals, flyers, posters, real estate board designs and more. We have also included another folder of online assets including static and animated badges, social and email banners etc. Main streets and town centres can download all, edit some to include details of their Main Streets of Australia event/campaign, print and use to promote the week. Before use/editing of these assets make sure to read the Brand Guidelines doc in the Dropbox folder.
- Download this press release template promoting Main Streets of Australia Week, edit it and send it to your local press to promote.
We hope you join us in celebrating and raising awareness of our main streets and town centres. We also hope to see your event/campaign listing for Main Streets of Australia Week very soon!