The coordinator works as an independent contractor to a Management Committee (a not for profit group), the Mt Eliza Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber was established to promote the profile of the Mt Eliza precinct and the 200 businesses within it. The role involves managing a series of projects at the direction of the committee and creating positive relationships within the business community and with external stakeholders, primarily the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council. The Chamber functions off an extremely low budget and the role includes careful funds management and generating additional grant aid and sponsorship where possible.
16 hours per week maximum – 48 weeks in a year. The Coordinator needs to be flexible in their working hours depending on each project and will be based from their own home office.
By agreement with the Chamber of Commerce, the hourly rate will be in the range of $50 to $58 per hour depending on the successful candidate’s experience.
The coordinator must have an ABN and be responsible for their own insurances, superannuation and taxes. After an initial 3 month trial period, the contract will be renewed annually.
Mt Eliza Chamber of Commerce has a focus to foster and encourage business growth in Mt Eliza, so to create a vibrant and viable business community. The Chamber will organize relevant promotions and events to encourage visitation to the town, lobby local government on relevant issues to maximize benefits for the town and its businesses. Importantly the Chamber of Commerce will keep in close contact with all members ie the businesses with a physical premises in the central precinct of Mt Eliza.
- Assist the Executive Committee with Development and Implementation of an annual Mt Eliza Marketing Plan. The coordinator is the only ‘paid person’ working on these activities and will always need to be hands on.
- Promote the township through the development and implementation of quality promotional activities, events and advertising campaigns as outlined in the annual Marketing Plan.
- Keep abreast of trends and activities in shopping centres by liaising with the other centre managers and Mainstreet Australia seminars and conferences.
- Introduce the Chamber of Commerce to all new businesses and assist in promoting that business to other traders.
- Organisation and management of local community festivals, or any street activation projects including the Christmas Parade. This includes attendance at such events. The Mt Eliza Farmers Market is controlled by Chamber of Commerce, and whilst there is a dedicated Market Manager and Market Assistant, the Coordinator is responsible for the market viability and is the first point of contact for the market staff.
- Production and distribution of a regular traders Newsletter or Enewsletter
- Liaison and engagement with local business owners (face to face contact primarily)
- Monthly attendance at Committee meetings and actioning all matters arising from that meeting.
- All related administration of the Association, including writing reports and agendas of meetings. Ensuring the Chamber of Commerce adheres to all the management conditions outlined in their contract with Mornington Peninsula Shire Council.
- Act as a liaison officer between Mt Eliza Chamber and various departments within Mornington Peninsula Council, Vic Police, local schools and service clubs. Establish strong working relationships in particular within Council.
- Keep Chamber of Commerce committee and business owners informed of local laws applicable to them and updated on any other legislative changes that may affect them.
- Attend Mornington Peninsula Shire Council meetings as required. Prepare monthly reports to Councils Economic Development Team to acquit expenditure of the Chamber funds, as per the Management Agreement which is in place with Council. The importance of financial management is critical, as funds will only be released from Council while the Chamber of Commerce functions to their satisfaction.
- Prepare and implement annual operating budgets, keeping projects within budget. Seek sponsorship and grants were applicable, write any necessary sponsorship or grant proposals and acquittals and keep in regular contact with sponsors. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the contracted bookkeeper and liaise with him on all financial matters.
- Social Media platforms are managed by the Coordinator. The priority is the style of posts and how the village and its businesses are represented, using creative ways to ensure all businesses get a chance to be equally represented throughout the year.
- ‘Hands on’ duties such as physically installing event signage around the streets, hanging decorations on the street trees and distribution of posters/flyers.
- Other duties as agreed with the Executive Committee.
- Self motivated and able to work independently
- A high level of interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- Project & event management experience with a high level of attention to detail
- Admin and Organisational Skills
- Budget Management skills
- Social media management
- Marketing experience
- Media Liaison
- Ability to write Grant applications and sponsorship proposals
Contractor will provide their own office space, phone and computer and will invoice the Chamber monthly for hours spent on the role. Contractor will be responsible for associated business costs including phone, travel and minor printing.
It is essential to have a physical presence in the township weekly and to meet with members ie the business owners and committee on a regular basis. Without the positive support of the membership ie the business owners, the funding will not continue.
Applications in writing to Lynne Heggie with a resume plus a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role. Plus the contact details of two references. Send via email.
Closes 17th December 2022